HAHAMONGA- BIG DIG
We are very aware of the potential health impacts of the Hahamonga Sediment Removal, aka The "Big Dig" project. The health and safety of Campers and Staff is our top priority!
We had NO reported incidents during the 2019 Summer related to the Big Dig.
What is the "Big Dig"
Run off from the Station Fire has brought over 1.3 million cubic yards of dirt into the Devil's Gate Reservoir in Hahamonga Park. This must be removed over the next four years to ensure the safety of those who live downstream of the Dam along the Arroyo Seco. Diesel trucks will be hauling the dirt out between the hours of 7:00am-3:30pm daily with approximately 50 loads per hour running on Berkshire or Arroyo.
Concerned parents are working with LA County to reduce pollution and diesel emissions by making sure all trucks used are compliant and regularly tested based on the strictest standards possible.
The diagram to the right is the projected risk zones from the diesel particulates before the more strict LA County guidelines were put in place.
In addition, an independent 3rd Party (not controlled by LCUSD or La County) is being hired to monitor the Air Quality in and around Hahamonga Park including a sensor(s) on the LCHS Campus. The real-time information from this sensor will be available to the School District, LCHS Site, and our Camp.
What is Spartan Allstars doing about it:
1) Based on the projected risk zones, we have relocated ALL field activities normally on the JV and Varsity Baseball Fields over to the Stadium or Oak Grove Field (Softball Fields) away from high risk zones.
2) We have added more indoor activities in air conditioned and air filtered facilities.
3) We will get regular reports from the sensor data and if air quality levels EVER are deemed unsafe, activities will be immediately relocated indoors.
4) The pool is located in the "yellow" zone (see Figure). If you do not wish for your child to swim, we will have an indoor location for them play board and card games.
5) Campers will be kept indoors in the North Gym during morning Drop Off (8-8:35am) and afternoon Pick Up (4:30-5pm).
We will update this site as we learn more from LA County and LCUSD Officials.